I’m obsessed with acorn pumpkins! I could eat them all year round! The soft, creamy texture and nutty flavour is like heaven in every bite! This pumpkin makes a perfect base for a creamy risotto, a hearty soup or any creamy deliciousness you want to create like a mousse or sauce! This delicious creamy pumpkin risotto is perfect for a comforting meal on a colder autumn or winter day! Its also great if you’re having friends over as its easy to make and warm up once everyone has arrived!
- 2 large acorn pumpkins (2kg)
- 3/4 of a cup of brown rice (200g)
- 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- a handful of fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- juice of1 lemon
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the rice and start cooking it in cold water, this will take about 45 minutes. Add salt and a drizzle apple cider vinegar and a throw in the dried herbs to add flavour.
- Keep stirring the rice and adding boiled water to the pan ensuring the rice never runs out of water. I like my risotto creamy so I tend to add a bit more water than necessary so I’m sure it wont run out and burn.
- As the rice cooks chop the pumpkin into bite-sized squares, cutting off the skin as you go. Put the squares onto a baking tray and drizzle olive oil, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Bake at 190C for about 15 minutes, until the cubes are softly roasted and delicious! Roasting veggies really brings out their flavour, which adds so much flavour to this dish!
- Blend three quarters of the pumpkin with a quarter cup of water, apple cider vinegar, tahini, salt and lemon until smooth.
Once the rice is about 15 minutes away from being cooked, and there is little to no water left, stir in the creamy pumpkin mix. Add the remaining cubes of roasted pumpkin and a handful of finely chopped coriander.
Drizzle olive oil into the the served dish and enjoy!